Plan Ahead: BILD president shares insider tips to ensure your renovation comes up roses
Like thousands of people in the GTA every year, I just had a major renovation completed on my home. It was a great way to make sure that my home meets the changing needs of my family, and that it is updated with features and designs that match our current tastes. In doing so, I experienced first-hand the benefits of using a professional renovation contractor, and putting into practice what the Building and Land Development Association (BILD) and its RenoMark renovators recommend to all their clients.
By following our own recommendations, I didn’t experience any nightmare scenarios that unfortunately, are more common than anyone would like to think. The end result was fabulous, the project was finished on time and on budget, and while most renovations often have some bumps in the road, the process went relatively smoothly.
Here are some of our top tips:
- Spend the time upfront to have a very clear picture of what you want to achieve. Know your budget, and make a list of must-haves and nice-to-haves. Chances are, as you proceed with your renovation, you will likely have to make some trade-offs between what you want and what you can afford.
- Choose your renovation contractor carefully. Interview at least three. If you don’t know where to start, you can find a list of RenoMark renovators on the RenoMark.ca website with renovators in your city from coast to coast. The benefit of using a RenoMark member is that they are professionals, they carry all the applicable licenses and insurance coverages (including WSIB). Also, they will always provide a written contract, provide a two-year warranty on their work and continually upgrade their skills with ongoing education provided by the local home builder’s associations (HBA).
- When interviewing potential renovation contractors, make sure that they understand your vision for the renovation and are able to work with you to fine-tune your project. Ask for references from previous clients and check them! Don’t just be satisfied with pretty pictures and a snazzy brochure. If they are not a RenoMark renovator, ask them to provide evidence of insurance and workers compensation coverage, ask about their warranty coverage and ask if they are members of the local HBA. Insurance and WSIB coverage are important because if the renovator does not have coverage, you, as the homeowner, could be liable in the event of an accident on the job site.
- Make sure you have a comprehensive written contract with the renovator. This will make sure you get the renovation you want, and protects you in the event something goes wrong. Check our website for tips that outline some of the most common terms and features you will want to make sure are included in your contract.
- As the renovation progresses, make sure to stay in regular contact with your renovation contractor. Book regular progress meetings. Changes are bound to occur with the project as you are working with an existing, and sometimes older, structure or home. When you do make changes, make sure to document them with your contractor in a change order.
Fortunately, my overall experience was a very positive one. I worked with a professional and was very happy with the end results. Remember: you wouldn’t hire someone off the street to repair your car; you would go to a licensed mechanic, so why would you risk the biggest investment of your life, your home, to a nonprofessional just to save a few dollars?
||David Wilkes is President and CEO of the Building Industry and Land Development Association (BILD), the voice of the home building, land development and professional renovation industry in the GTA.
For the latest industry news and new home data, follow BILD on Twitter, Facebook, BILD’s official blog.
Throwing an elegant holiday get-together—whether a sit-down dinner or a cocktail party—with your family and friends doesn't have to be stressful, especially if you plan early.
If you take some extra time to plan, and use a few simple ideas, getting the right look in a home doesn't have to be too challenging or expensive.
Now, attics are being renovated for master suites and the results can be exceptional.
When you think of home improvement projects, it's easy to get caught up in the interior yet to overlook the exterior of the property would be a mistake.
Our Industrial and rustic fall colour inspired booth design pleased our crowd and we are grateful to all of the sponsors who helped bring our vision to reality!
The never-say-die plants that your garden needs right now
A basic kitchen gets an updated look for a modest cost.
Keeping Up With the Kardashian's Scott Disick now has his own spin-off on E!, Flip it Like Disick.
Winter is coming! Here’s how to make sure your snow blower and other small engine equipment are ready to go!. READ MORE.
At JELD-WEN, we craft custom windows and doors from the highest quality materials, designed to inspire homeowners and add beauty to the world.
Fusion Stone is an easy and budget-friendly way to beautifully upgrade your home, inside and out. A patented Shouldice innovation, Fusion Stone is a thin stone veneer that is easily installed with the included stainless steel clips & screws. You just screw it to the wall and it’s “Hooked for Life”.
ROCKWOOL insulation is the sustainable way to make an impact on the challenges of climate change, urbanisation, improving people’s health and quality of life, and resource scarcity.
From a modest machine shop in Baltimore to the surface of the moon, we’ve proudly provided innovative solutions for over a century. Discover the pioneering history of BLACK+DECKER.
Established in 1987, Caesarstone pioneered the original quartz surface and continues to be a leading developer and manufacturer of premium surfaces. Highly functional and design forward, Caesarstone surfaces have endless application possibilities including kitchen countertops, bathroom vanities, wall paneling, furniture and more.
Since 1873, Kohler Co. has been improving the level of gracious living by providing exceptional products and services for our customers’ homes and their lifestyles.
IMPROVE is totally unique to Canada. Based on the international success of similar concepts throughout the world, IMPROVE understands how to make home improvement much easier and more pleasurable for consumers and trades to shop all under one roof.
SFA SANIFLO INC. (“SANIFLO”) is the only manufacturer of its kind in North America offering a complete line of macerating toilet systems for residential and light-commercial applications where installation of plumbing fixtures with below-floor drainage is impossible or cost-prohibitive.
The Outdoor Power Equipment Institute (OPEI) is an international trade association that represents power equipment, small engine, utility vehicle, golf cart and personal transport vehicle manufacturers and suppliers. OPEI offers maintenance tips for preparing for upcoming seasonal changes.
"Doing good maintenance in the fall means that your lawn mower will be in ready when spring arrives and you are eager to tackle landscaping projects," said Kris Kiser, President and CEO of OPEI. "As you get ready for winter, now is also the time to do snow thrower and generator maintenance. You should also review safe handling procedures, so you know how to use your equipment and are ready when snow falls."
- Re-familiarize yourself with how to handle your equipment safely, along with any maintenance needs. If you lost your manual, you can usually find it online. Save a copy so that you can consult it when needed.
- Before storing equipment that you won't need during the winter months, clean and service it yourself or take it to a small engine repair shop. Drain and change engine oil, then safely dispose of old oil. Service the air filter, and do other maintenance activities as directed by your service manual. Check all winter equipment to see what maintenance and repairs are required.
- Handle fuel properly. Unused gas that's left in gas tanks over the winter can go stale. It can even damage your equipment. Before you store your equipment, add a fuel stabilizer to the gas tank, and then run the equipment to distribute it. Turn the engine off, allow the machine to cool, then restart and run until the gas tank is empty. For winter equipment, be sure that you use the fuel that your manufacturer recommends. Most outdoor power equipment is designed, built and warranted to run on 10 per cent, or less, ethanol fuel.
- If your equipment has a battery, remove and fully charge it before storing. It's important that batteries are not stored on metal shelves or touching metal objects. Store the battery on a plastic, or wood, shelf in a climate-controlled structure.
- Store your spring and summer equipment in a clean and dry place, such as a garage, barn or shed. Winter equipment should be kept away from the elements, but be easily accessible for use when needed. Always keep your outdoor power equipment out of the reach of children and pets.
- Clear the paths the are regularly used in your yard, especially during the winter months, and put away warm weather items. Clear space in your garage and basement (before the weather changes), so that you have room to store larger yard items, like patio furniture, umbrellas and summer toys.
- Familiarize yourself with your winter equipment and make sure that you know how to turn the machine on and off the machine, along with safe handling procedures.
- Buy the type of fuel that is recommended by the manufacturer no more than 30 days before required. You should use fuel with no more than 10 per cent ethanol in outdoor power equipment. Also, fuel goes stale and will need to be replaced if you have not used it within a month. Use a fuel stabilizer, if recommended by your manufacturer.
- Keep heavy duty, weatherproof extension cords on hand for your generator.
HomeStars is a free service to help homeowners find reputable renovators, repairmen and retailers by searching its database of 2 million companies and hundreds of thousands of reviews.
We are the market leader in the manufacturing of skylights and roof windows. It is a result of our intense focus on creating the best quality, most energy efficient daylighting products available.
We've been proudly serving the community for more than 160 years. We deliver natural gas safely and reliably to two million homes and businesses across Ontario. With safety as our ongoing priority, we're committed to making communities better places to live.
Euro-Line Appliances has brought elite European engineered appliances to Canadian homes for over 25 years. Our brands exceed expectations and have earned awards in design, engineering, performance, and energy efficiency. All of our cooking, refrigeration, dishwashers, and laundry appliances are created to conserve our non-renewable resources.
Cosentino is a global, family-owned company that produces and distributes high value innovative surfaces for the world of architecture and design, leaders in their respective segments such as Silestone® Quartz surfaces and Dekton® Ultracompact surfaces. Technologically advanced surfaces that create unique designs for the home and public spaces.
Canadian Appliance Source has become the fastest growing provider of Major Home Appliances in Canada for over 10 years, we have grown to include over 13 locations across Ontario & Quebec.
By becoming the standard bearer in the basement renovation industry, we can promote quality materials, professional trades, honest pricing, and better communication standards to create customer advocates and inspire our competitors.
X-Tile is sure to have whatever you need to express your unique individual style. We offer you an exceptional variety of wall and flooring options in ceramic, porcelain, natural stone, glass, mosaic and much more from leading suppliers around the world. Let our knowledgeable and friendly staff help you in your dream renovation or building project.
With over 90 years of experience, BLANCO is the leading kitchen sinks and faucets manufacturer. From handcrafted in Germany Steelart® sinks and the beauty of Silgranit®, to the European design faucets, BLANCO products are celebrated worldwide for their unmatched quality and design. Blanco Silgranit® sinks are proudly manufactured in Canada TRADE ONLY.
Since 1989 Men At Work has specialized in renewing and enlarging older houses in core Toronto neighbourhoods. We are experts in managing the challenges of renovating sensitive old buildings into beautiful, functional, comfortable living spaces.
As a cooperative with 1,000 stores worldwide, we not only have enormous buying power, but we have partners in all of the major brands, mills and manufacturers.
Whether you’re expecting, just delivered, or are in the midst of managing the schedule of a little one, we have it all.
Created by fusion of exceptional design, superior quartz quality and cutting-edge technology, HansStone Quartz weaves together intriguing patterns and colours inspired by the diverse Canadian landscape.
All-electric fireplace showroom and design centre with the largest selection in Toronto and York Region. Combining specialized expertise with over 20 years' interior design experience. On-wall, in-wall, fireboxes, retrofit inserts, mantels, custom cabinetry, stone and brick veneers. Residential and commercial. Trade and volume inquiries always welcome.
Saunacore is a world leader in the manufacturing of premium quality sauna and steam bath products. Saunacore manufactures sauna heaters, steam bath generators, far infrared sauna rooms, traditional indoor and outdoor saunas, material liner kits, accessories and much more.
IKO has grown from humble beginnings to a global leader in the roofing products industry, with more than 3,000 employees worldwide, and state-of-the-art manufacturing plants.
Shelter Furniture recognizes your individual style and are sensitive to your space and your vision for your home. With our in store design services, we help you create unique space that helps bring your home to life.
FLEURCO specializes in holistic designs and finishes that easily adapt to both traditional and contemporary bathroom décors.
Custom fabrication, marble granite quartz and a boutique showroom that caters to designers, architects, contractors and more! Everyone is welcome!
Through our customer feedback, we have learned the importance of ‘service’. You said and we listened. We addressed your needs and improvised; bringing you services and quality no one in the industry offers.
For over 50 years, Faema Canada has introduced the art of traditional Italian Espresso and Cappuccino to Canadians. We carry a variety of premium brands that can be tested at any one of our retail stores. Our selection of machines is only complemented by our assortment of fine espresso blends imported from Italy. Our wide selection of beans can also be brewed and sampled at all of our locations.